Thursday, September 2, 2010

Baltimore Happiness

I made it there alive!!!!  And check out the new hair color btw...I flippin' lurv it.
Brace yourselves this is a massive post...ready?
Alright...where to begin?  I LOVE Baltimore.  Not just the convention they held, but the city was truly great too.  It's always difficult going to large cities for conventions and trying to figure out what to do in the evening when the floor closes.  So many times we end up back in the hotel after finding the closest place to eat, and we always seem to fall asleep around... 9:00 or 10:00 (not fun)  Baltimore had plenty of things for us to entertain ourselves with-in walking distance: great restaurants, live music, aquarium, singing fudgery, AND dragon paddle-boats!!!!  You read right...singing fudgery and dragons.  It was already amazing that I finally had my own table at a convention, but the fact that the city was great, was just icing on the cake...or fudge.
  So, who wants to see some pictures!? 
Moi, working at trying to look busy while people stand there and judge my work. :)

Boom baby!!  My very first commission at Baltimore Comic-Con.  All the commissions I did at the convention where in this same style...there's no way I could shell out drawings like my portraits in a short amount of time.  For those who don't know, this is Rogue from Marvel's X-Men.  The guy I did this for was really pleased with the outcome, including the text that I put above her.  His words were, "Classic."
Some views of my table!  Robert Downey Jr. was a hit with the ladies of course...but more guys bought prints of him than anyone. ^-^
And of course I was not alone at my table.  The OrccaCast and Fangirl Confessional where there promoting.  This is Jen and I with our game faces on...we scared a few away with this.
Danny and Jason loitering..."Get away you crazy kids!!!  You're scaring the costumers!!"
A view down the aisle I was in, which was only a fraction of the whole artist alley.
Here's another adorable commission I did...this one was for Jen, ha!  Sketch card of Big Barda from DC Comics.  I really love her helmet, and you can't tell that I used a gold paint pen to highlight it.  Oh well, go knock on Jen's door to see it in person, it's shiny!!! 
Here's something different!  Some guy came by my table and specifically wanted me to contribute to this collaboration.  If you can't tell it's all of the same character, just different interpretations.  For the life of me I can't remember her name...anywho, mines at the top in the middle.
   Here's a close up of mine...meow.
This one is another collaboration.  My friend Jen has been getting commissions from this girl ever since her first convention...she's very loyal!  Peng, as she goes by, did the pencils and Jen commissioned me to ink and color it.  I did it with Prisma color pencils.  And again, for those who are not comic nerds like us, it's Mystique from the X-Men comics.  I've got another one I'm working on that Peng penciled, so be on the look out for that one!  You can check our Peng's awesome work at http://peng-peng.deviantart.com/
Close up!
I did a lot more commissions than these...but I failed to whip out the camera and take pictures of those.  Live and learn!  Here are the newest sketch cards that I took with me to sell though!
 Kick Ass sketch cards wha!!!!?????
The Joker, Power Girl, and Kitty Pryde.  I gave the original Power Girl to Amanda Conner :-O "What!?  You crazy!!!"  Ya, I was freaking out about it until she seemed genuinely surprised and happy that I gave it to her.  Amanda Conner was the main pencil artist for the Power Girl comics #'s 1-12.  She's amazing and I want to be her when I grow up. :)    
 Awww Sookie....True Blood sketch cards!
 Last but not least, the mighty THOR!!!!!  Once again, you can't see how I've highlighted him with a silver paint pen.  I still have the original if anyone wants it!!!  huh? huh?

Throughout the whole convention I needed something to bide my time in-between commissions.  I dug out an old project that I started a YEAR ago... *shakes head*  Good thing is, this geared me up to finally try to finish it.  Although it's not there yet......
 BUFFY!!!!!  
Sigh...still quite a bit to go, so don't go judging yet.

Yes, I warned you this would be a big post!  Aren't you glad I waited to post everything though?  Some things I learned for next time: I need to invest in a banner with my name and art on it.  I looked so pitiful in-between two guys with massive banners screaming at people to come to their table.  More merch equals more money!  And finally, Master Chief fighting Boba Fett sells like hotcakes.
Overall, I could have been busy and made more money, but I was a newbie this year and I think I did pretty well.  I made some new friends and clients and I think I caught the bug.  The bug to do more tables at conventions!!!  I've taken the plunge to get my art out there and it's already started to pay off...literally.  Hey, look at that, I'm a paid artist ma!!! 
 

No comments: